DR BARBARA MEDEA
PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
Hello, my name is Barbara and I am a registered clinical psychologist with experience working with adults across the lifespan both in the NHS and in the private sector. I am experienced in offering both time-limited psychological interventions and longer-term psychological therapy.
I care deeply for the transformation and personal growth of my clients and I am keen on helping them recognise the values that guide their lives. I aim to help my clients uncover a more compassionate relationship with themselves with a view to feel more resilient in the face of future life events and uncertainties.
My main area of expertise is working with self-criticism. Self-criticism is often perceived as a helpful strategy to drive self-improvement. However, it is often associated with experiences of social comparison and shame. Over time it can hinder recovery by creating obstacles to psychological flexibility, adjustment, self-love and acceptance.
I use a trans-diagnostic approach; which means that I wish to see beyond diagnostic labels and help people identify underlying factors to their difficulties. I believe that every situation and every person is unique, hence I am keen to build a strong, trusting therapeutic relationship with you and work towards a joint understanding of the development and maintenance of your difficulties. This will help us collaboratively choose the most effective therapeutic modality to manage your difficulties and improve your quality of life.
I draw from a number of evidence-based therapeutic modalities including Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy, Compassion Focused Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Mindfulness, trauma-focused, systemic and dialectical behavioural therapies.
I continuously learn and improve my knowledge of therapeutic approaches. I also personally practise mindfulness and compassion-focused skills on a daily basis and have undertaken personal psychotherapy for over ten years. I am a native Italian speaker hence I would be happy to welcome clients whose preferred language is Italian.
If you feel we would be a good match, please, get in touch to book an initial assessment. I will be looking forward to hearing about your expectations and goals and thinking together about an appropriate therapy plan.
Training and qualifications
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology
- Compassion Focused Therapy
- Schema Therapy
- Non-violent communication
- PhD in Psychology and Social Neuroscience
- Msc Psychological Assessment
- Msc Clinical Psychology
- BSc in Developmental Psychology
ACCREDITATION TO PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Member of the Health Professional Council (HCPC)
- Association of Clinical Psychology (ACP)
AREAS OF SPECIAL INTEREST
- Anxiety Conditions (e.g. worry, panic, managing uncertainty, obsessive compulsive disorders)
- Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviours
- Sleep difficulties
- Low self-esteem
- Difficulties managing emotions
- Bereavement, grief and loss
- Persistent pain
- Occupation and career
INVEST IN YOURSELF AND YOUR WELLBEING
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM OUR THERAPISTS
We carry out rigorous checks and vet all our therapists before they join the team. They must meet with our high standards of professional specification which includes:
- Accreditation to the relevant professional body:
- Clinical psychologists are Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) registered
- CBT therapists are British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) accredited
- Counsellors are British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) accredited
- Degree-qualified to Masters or PHD (doctorate) level for clinical psychologists
- Full indemnity insurance
- DBS criminal record clearance
This means that the mental health professional you see will be qualified, experienced and competent.
We are a private mental health clinic and have a number of therapists with different specialities. Because of this, we can offer therapies to help with a wide range of mental health issues from Anxiety to PTSD and child psychology.
First, we carry out a triage step during a 15-minute free initial telephone consultation. Depending on the challenges you’re facing, we will then recommend a counsellor, CBT therapist or clinical psychologist.
We also have clinic locations throughout the North, so there is usually one not too far from you.
As a result, we can usually offer an appointment quickly and at a time and place convenient for you. But, above all, tailored to your needs.