Post Traumatic Stress Disorder PTSD Newcastle
What is PTSD?
At Select Psychology our PTSD clinic and post traumatic stress disorder treatment in Newcastle offers a range of support services, you can call our team today for more information.
DEALING WITH ADJUSTMENT D
PTSD is a mental illness caused by exposure to either a single event, a series of events or prolonged exposure to traumatic events. You do not have to have directly experienced the event, you could be a witness or have been told about it 3rd hand. There are many known causes of PTSD:
- Combat exposure
- Childhood sexual abuse
- Rape/sexual assault
- An accident
- Sudden death of a loved one
- Being threatened with violence, including domestic violence
- Life threatening medical diagnosis
An initial reaction to such an event might be shock and disbelief. Over time this can fade. More troubling thoughts and feelings can then emerge. These might include anger, helplessness or fear. It can be difficult to process your memories of the event, or understand what happened and why.
What are the symptoms?
The symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder may appear immediately or they may not appear until years after the event. Each individual will experience symptoms in varying degrees of frequency and intensity:
- Reliving the trauma through nightmares, flashbacks or having frequent, upsetting thoughts about the event. During these times you will experience physical responses that will make you feel like you are ‘back in’ the event
- Avoidance of places, people or situations that remind you of the event
- Being on edge and ‘on the look out’ for a repeat of the traumatic event. This could include having difficultly going to sleep, being on guard for danger, difficulty concentrating
- Negative thoughts about yourself, others or the world
- Difficulty maintaining close relationships
- Increase in drug or alcohol use to block out distressing thoughts
- Depression and anxiety
What are the therapies that can help?
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Treatment in Newcastle
For more information on our post traumatic stress disorder treatment in Newcastle, contact Select Psychology today. With out team you can trust that you’ll be in the best hands as we are members of the The British Psychological Society and The Health and Care Professionals Council.
We offer a free 15 minute private and confidential telephone consultation.
Book yours today online, or if you would like to know more about our services please contact us today
Book a free consultation
Coping with PTSD