WHAT IS A DIETITIAN?
Registered Dietitians are the only qualified health professionals that assess, diagnose and treat dietary and nutritional problems at an individual and wider public health level. They work with both healthy and sick people. Uniquely, dietitians use the most up-to-date public health and scientific research on food, health and disease which they translate into practical guidance to enable people to make appropriate lifestyle and food choices. Dietitians are the only nutrition professionals to be regulated by law, and are governed by an ethical code to ensure that they always work to the highest standard.
HOW I WORK WITH SELECT PSYCHOLOGY
I work closely with Select Psychology to provide a role in the nutritional assessment, treatment, monitoring and education of certain medical conditions including eating disorder, autism spectrum condition, malnutrition and weight management. As an advocate of evidence-based science, I will serve as an important resource of nutrition knowledge and will be working collaboratively with the patient, patient’s family and therapist to develop the nutritional aspect of the treatment plan.
For example, in eating disorders, I can provide support in safe refeeding, weight restoration, meal planning, food shopping and supporting the patient in challenging certain food rules and beliefs. In autism spectrum condition, the patient may experience sensory issues around eating that lead to an inadequate balance of the right nutrients. I can support the team in providing practical advice around mealtimes, ensuring adequate nutrition and exploring new foods.
PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
I am passionate about educating and promoting good health and wellbeing through nutrition. I have over 10 years clinical experience working in the National Health Service, and worked in a range of settings including, eating disorders, weight management, ADHD, autistic spectrum condition, diabetes and gastroenterology. My philosophy is to provide nutritional advice that is based on sound science, practical and realistic to help clients meet their own health goals. I am skilled in behaviour change counselling and motivational interviewing and have a specialist interest in Eating Disorders (including Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Binge Eating Disorders and Diabulimia).
Training and qualifications
- HCPC Registered Advanced Dietitian
- 2:1 BSc Nutrition and Dietetics at Kings College London
- Masters Module in Eating Disorders at Leeds Beckett University
- Trained in National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) recommended Maudsley Anorexia Nervosa Treatment for Adults (MANTRA) and Specialist Supportive Clinical Management (SSCM).
- Trained in Motivational Interviewing and Behaviour Change.
ACCREDITATION TO PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Member of the British Dietetic Association
- Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council. Registration number
- Resource Officer for the British Dietetic Association Mental Health Group.
AREAS OF SPECIAL INTEREST
- Eating Disorders (including Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Binge Eating Disorders and Diabulimia),
- Weight management
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Autism Spectrum Condition
- Nutritional Support advice (Those underweight wishing to reach a healthy weight range)
- Gastroenterology including irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease.