DR LAUREN MAWN
PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
I offer a warm, safe, compassionate and empathic space as a Clinical Psychologist. I enjoy empowering people to understand themselves, make sense of their distress, make changes, develop and grow. I seek to work collaboratively with clients to help them achieve their personal goals and believe in developing good relationships with clients enabling them to draw on their own resources, strength, and resilience to move forward.
I am a Senior Clinical Psychologist and honorary Clinical Lecturer with experience working with adults and children and young people individually, in couples, families and groups, both in the NHS and private practice. I have worked with people experiencing a range or emotional, psychological distress and mental health difficulties. This has included but is not limited to anxiety disorders, depression, self-esteem, relational difficulties, impact of physical health conditions, behaviour support, parenting, adjustment, adjustment and shame.
I am highly qualified with an honours degree in Psychology (BSc Hons), a Master’s degree in Sport and Exercise Psychology, a PhD in Transformational Leadership and a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy). I have undertaken considerable additional training including in evidence-based psychotherapies such as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT); Family, Couples and Systemic Therapy (Intermediate Level); Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy and Mindfulness. In working together, I will draws from a number of these therapeutic approaches so that treatment can be tailored your needs effectively.
Being a psychologist is an incredible privilege and honour as it enables me to witness transformation, helping people move beyond distress, creating a warmer more compassionate world. I like when people feel better about themselves, when they get on better with those important to them. I enjoy witnessing people evolve in their thinking about themselves, their lives and their relationships so that they open up the world more to themselves and others. I am keen to foster compassion and inclusion and I have undertaken additional training and experience working with LGBTQI people in families and of those with varying cultures and identities.
Training and qualifications
- Intermediate Certificate in Systemic Family Therapy
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Transformational Leadership
- Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCertHE)
- MSc Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Psychology BSc (Hons)
- 2022: Mindfulness Long Covid.
- 2021: Working with LGBTQI people in families. Amanda Middleton
- 2022: Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Conference
- 2021: European Association of Behaviour and Cognitive Psychotherapy Conference
- 2020: Cultural Competence in Therapy. Nafsiyat Intercultural Therapy Centre
- 2020: Working with Families with Chronic Health Conditions. Tavistock and Portman
- 2020: Uncertainty Distress in the Context of Coronavirus
- 2019: DNA-V: ACT for Children and Young People. Dr Louise Hayes
- 2019: Accredited Supervisors Training for Clinical Psychologists
- 2018: Introduction to Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy, Kim Goulding,
ACCREDITATION TO PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Member of the Health Professional Council HCPC
AREAS OF SPECIAL INTEREST
- Anxiety (GAD, health, panic, phobia, social
- Behaviour that challenges
- Child Related Issues
- Chronic Illness
- Family Issues
- Parenting Issues
- Shame & self criticism
- Stress including work related
- Suicidal thoughts
INVEST IN YOURSELF AND YOUR WELLBEING
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM OUR THERAPISTS
We carry out rigorous checks and vet all our therapists before they join the team. They must meet with our high standards of professional specification which includes:
- Accreditation to the relevant professional body:
- Clinical psychologists are Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) registered
- CBT therapists are British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) accredited
- Counsellors are British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) accredited
- Degree-qualified to Masters or PHD (doctorate) level for clinical psychologists
- Full indemnity insurance
- DBS criminal record clearance
This means that the mental health professional you see will be qualified, experienced and competent.
We are a private mental health clinic and have a number of therapists with different specialities. Because of this, we can offer therapies to help with a wide range of mental health issues from Anxiety to PTSD and child psychology.
- Accreditation to the relevant professional body:
First, we carry out a triage step during a 15-minute free initial telephone consultation. Depending on the challenges you’re facing, we will then recommend a counsellor, CBT therapist or clinical psychologist.
We also have clinic locations throughout the North, so there is usually one not too far from you.
As a result, we can usually offer an appointment quickly and at a time and place convenient for you. But, above all, tailored to your needs.